A concise guide to the special education laws every educator needs to know!
Federal and state laws, combined with a number of important court cases, have brought major reforms in special education. But laws, rules, and regulations are always changing. Practices that were followed yesterday may be illegal today. How can you be sure you are complying with the law?
The Legal Foundations of Special Education summarizes landmark court cases and provides an overview of the most influential laws affecting special education services, including the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA), its 2004 reauthorization, and the No Child Left Behind Act (NCLB).
Highlights of this helpful guide to special education law include:
- Key vocabulary terms
- Summaries of the court cases and laws that affect every general and special educator
- A pretest and posttest to help readers assess their understanding of current legal terms and practices
A Practical Approach to Special Education for Every Teacher: The 13-Book Collection
This collection equips educators with practical knowledge and methods that will help them to better engage students in exploring-and meeting-their fullest potential.
- The Fundamentals of Special Education
- Effective Assessment for Students With Special Needs
- Effective Instruction for Students With Special Needs
- Working With Families and Community Agencies to Support Students With Special Needs
- Public Policy, School Reform, and Special Education
- Teaching Students With Sensory Disabilities
- Teaching Students With Medical, Physical, and Multiple Disabilities
- Teaching Students With Learning Disabilities
- Teaching Students With Communication Disorders
- Teaching Students With Emotional Disturbance
- Teaching Students With Mental Retardation
- Teaching Students With Gifts and Talents
|The Law Continues to Change|
|The Equal Protection Clause|
|A Brief History|
|Eight Important Laws|
|Brown v. Board of Education|
|The Many Issues Addressed by the Courts|
|Supreme Court Rulings|
|Finding a Balance|
|Answer Key for Self-Assessments|
|On Your Own|
|Journals & Articles|