English Learners (ELs) and multilingual learners (MLs) have double the work of their English-speaking peers as they are required to master language and content simultaneously. To support this dynamic academic and language development process, all teachers need to have an understanding of language acquisition and EL/ML-specific methodologies along with offering social-emotional support to ELs/MLs and work in tandem with each other.
Bestselling authors Andrea Honigsfeld and Maria G. Dove have returned with this new resource that compliments and expands on their previous titles on co-teaching and collaboration by addressing collaborative planning in greater depth. Co-planning is positioned as the first step toward integrative language and content instruction as regular and purposeful collaboration ensures that Els/MLs have access to core content.
Key features include:
• Practical, step-by-step guidance to starting and sustaining collaborative planning for integrated language, literacy, and social-emotional development
• An array of checklists, templates, and protocols for immediate implementation
• Snapshots from the Field provide real-life examples of co-planning in action
• Beautiful full-color design with original sketch notes to bring concepts to life
• QR codes that link to author interviews elaborating on key ideas
This substantial guide will assist novice and seasoned educators alike in their move away from isolated practices and help them engage in collaborative planning and professional dialogue about asset-based, best practices for ELs/MLs.