Hands-on, Practical Guidance for Educators
literacy, equity, multilingual learners, and SEL, to assessment, school counseling,
and education leadership, our books are research-based and authored by experts
on topics most relevant to what educators are facing today.
The Frazzled Teacher’s Wellness Plan
Helps busy teachers manage stress with new research and expert tips on stress management, restructuring priorities, time management, and exercise with this handy wellness guide.
- Grade Level: PreK-12
- ISBN: 9781452260921
- Published By: Corwin
- Year: 2013
- Page Count: 120
- Publication date: August 20, 2013
Boost teacher retention and help banish classroom burnout with this expert guide!
This handy wellness guide helps busy teachers optimize their classroom effectiveness and breeze through stressful times. Custom crafted by an educator and a nurse who understand the stresses teachers face, this updated second edition offers a five-step program to help weary educators:
- Master the science of stress management
- Restructure professional and personal priorities
- Use technology for effective time management
- Understand and eliminate procrastination and perfectionism
- Use nutrition to support a healthy lifestyle
- Easily fit health-promoting exercises and yoga routines into their hectic schedules
New research includes expert tools, tips, and examples for managing high-stakes CCSS, 21st Century Learning initiatives, and new technology requirements. Use this all-in-one guide to help teachers maintain high energy, boost morale, and increase productivity!
“Dr. Queen is a visionary in the field of education and his work is a living example of his commitment to children and educators. For this educator, there is no more valuable tool to improve student outcomes than to give those who are in control of it—the educators in the building every day—the tools that they need in order to perform at a higher level and live longer, more productive lives.”
—Chris Lineberry, Principal
Stanfield Elementary School, Arizona
- Identifies and suggests how to manage school stressors, providing support to teachers and encouraging retention
- Includes numerous concrete strategies for a healthier lifestyle, including 21 planning techniques to prevent classroom stress; saying "No" with a smile; dealing with perfectionism and procrastination; physical activities such as Yoga, Pilates, Karate/Kick Boxing, Tai Chi Chuan, etc.
- Shows how to analyze and then manage personal and teaching priorities for more balance between personal and professional lives.
Table of Contents
Additions to the Second Edition
About the Authors
STEP ONE: Identifying Schools as a Culture of Stress
School Culture and Stress
Teacher Stress and the Immune System
Teaching and Personalizing Stress
Managing School Stress
21 Planning Techniques to Prevent Classroom Stress
STEP TWO: Restructuring Personal and Teaching Priorities for a Healthy Lifestyle
Why Manage Priorities?
A Mirror Image of Self
Managing Personal and Teaching Priorities
Something to Think About
Avoiding Lifelong Regrets
STEP THREE: Mastering the Science of Stress Management for Better Health
Managing Your Stress
Reducing Stress Levels
Professional Coping Strategies
The Benefits of Physical Exercise
Developing a Stress Management Plan
STEP FOUR: Arresting Time Bandits at Home and at School
The Three Major Time Bandits
Personal and Professional Time-Management Strategies
Some Additional Classroom Time Savers
STEP FIVE: Using Nutrition to Support a Healthy Lifestyle
Nutrition Affects Teachers’ Health
Making Good Choices
Health Screening Measures to Know
References and Suggested Readings