Hands-on, Practical Guidance for Educators
literacy, equity, multilingual learners, and SEL, to assessment, school counseling,
and education leadership, our books are research-based and authored by experts
on topics most relevant to what educators are facing today.
Succeeding in the Inclusive Classroom
- Grade Level: PreK-12
- ISBN: 9781412989718
- Published By: Sage Publications Inc
- Year: 2010
- Page Count: 72
- Publication date: June 14, 2010
Ideal for Introduction to Special Education/Introduction to Exceptionalities courses, this supplementary text provides strategies pre-service and in-service teachers can use to apply the principles of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) to their lesson planning. UDL lesson planning considers "up front" potential barriers that could limit access to instruction for some learners and helps teachers brainstorm possible solutions before lessons begin. The lessons included in this text are meant as a starting point for general education teachers who have students with special needs in their classrooms and can be adapted for K-12 learners with a wide range of challenges.
- This text consists of lesson plans to address learners from ten major disability areas covered in every standard Introductory textbook: Intellectual Disabilities; Learning Disabilities; Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder; Emotional or Behavioral Disorders; Autism Spectrum Disorders; Speech and Language Disorders; Hearing Impairments; Visual Impairments; Physical Disabilities; Health Disabilities, and Related Low-Incidence Disabilities; and Gifted and Talented.
- Metcalf provides one lesson plan at the elementary school level and one at the secondary level for each area of exceptionality.
Table of Contents
1. Sample Lesson Plans for Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities
2. Sample Lesson Plans for Individuals with Learning Disabilities
3. Sample Lesson Plans for Individuals with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
4. Sample Lesson Plans for Individuals with Emotional or Behavioral Disorders
5. Sample Lesson Plans for Individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders
6. Sample Lesson Plans for Individuals with Speech and Language Disorders
7. Sample Lesson Plans for Individuals with Hearing Impairments
8. Sample Lesson Plans for Individuals with Visual Impairments
9. Sample Lesson Plans for Individuals with Physical Disabilities, Health Disabilities, and Related Low-Incidence Disabilities
10. Sample Lesson Plans for Individuals Who Are Gifted and Talented
About the Author
Other Titles in: Inclusive Education