Hands-on, Practical Guidance for Educators
literacy, equity, multilingual learners, and SEL, to assessment, school counseling,
and education leadership, our books are research-based and authored by experts
on topics most relevant to what educators are facing today.
Becoming a Better Science Teacher
Foreword by Dave Youngs
Create a new vision for high-quality science teaching!
This essential handbook helps teachers bring all the elements of high-quality, standards-based curriculum and instruction into their teaching. Full of practical strategies and sample lessons, this research-based approach to professional growth will help teachers:
- Strengthen understanding of standards-based concepts and inquiry science
- Learn new methods and strategies for instruction and assessment
- Create rich learning environments and a better use of instructional time
- Ask probing questions and promote discussion
- Use classroom assessment to gather evidence of student achievement
- Ensure student achievement through increased scientific literacy
- Grade Level: PreK-12
- ISBN: 9781412926614
- Published By: Corwin
- Year: 2006
- Page Count: 216
- Publication date: June 28, 2006
When you select 'request review copy', you will be redirected to Sage Publishing (our parent site) to process your request.
"A very exciting and user-friendly text, dealing with standards and making practical connections to assessment and teaching, and with excellent examples throughout."
-Gary Willhite, Teacher Educator
Southern Illinois University
Create a new vision for high quality science teaching!
In today's standards-based educational climate, teachers are challenged to create meaningful learning experiences while meeting specific goals and accountability targets. In her essential new book, Elizabeth Hammerman brings more than 20 years as a science educator and consultant to help teachers connect all of the critical elements of first-rate curriculum and instruction.
With this simple, straight-on guide, teachers can analyze their existing curriculum and instruction against a rubric of indicators of critical characteristics, related standards, concept development, and teaching strategies to develop students' scientific literacy at the highest levels. Every chapter is packed with charts, sample lesson ideas, reflection and discussion prompts, and more, to help teachers expand their capacity for success.
Hammerman describes what exceptional teaching looks like in the classroom and provides practical, teacher-friendly strategies to make it happen. This research-based resource will help teachers:
- Reinforce understanding of standards-based concepts and inquiry
- Add new content, methods, and strategies for instruction and assessment
- Create rich learning environments
- Maximize instructional time
- Ask probing questions and sharpen discussion
- Include technology
- Gather classroom evidence of student achievement to inform instruction
Through a new, clear vision for high quality science teaching, this book gives teachers everything they need to deliver meaningful science instruction and ensure student success and achievement.
- Sample hands-on inquiry, case study, video study and other models
- How-to for aligning standards
- User friendly for k-9 teachers
- Great resource for vertical or team study groups and professional development
- Integrates technology
- Pulls all the pieces together for high quality science teaching
Table of Contents
Part 1. Creating a Vision for Science Education
1. On the Shoulders of Giants
2. Defining High Quality Science Teaching
Part 2. Giant Steps to High Quality Teaching
3. The Role of Science Standards
4. Creating a Context for Meaningful Learning
5. Methods, Strategies, and Best Practices for High Quality Instruction
6. Tools for Thinking and Meaning
7. Assessments to Guide Instruction
8. Safe, Supportive and Challenging Environments for Learning
9. Eight Steps to High Quality and Student Achievement
"The major strengths of this book are dealing with standards and making practical connections to assessment and teaching, and the excellent examples throughout and their practicality. A very exciting and user-friendly text."Gary Willhite, Teacher Educator
Southern Illinois University
"What a treasure! The contents will change the way teachers teach and students learn. This book is a tour de force, a must-read for every educator!"Marian White-Hood, Principal
Prince George's County Public Schools, Upper Marlboro, MD
"This text is especially strong in the clear, solid approach toward developing high-quality science instruction. It does an exceptional job of relating this step-by-step approach to educational research on science pedagogy."Diann Musial, Distinguished Teaching Professor
Northern Illinois University
"Gives teachers everything they need to deliver meaningful science instruction and ensure student success and achievement."SirReadaLot.org, August 2006
"Hammerman's recommendations and instructional supports complement current teaching practices across disciplines and grade levels."Curriculum Connections, Spring 2007
School Library Journal