You are here

Let's make the "next normal" a "better normal."

Explore professional books and service offerings for teachers, coaches, and school leaders so that, together, we can benefit from the lessons learned to accelerate learning, rebuild agency, and rethink schools. It's time to "rebound" to a better normal!

Visible Learning in Early Childhood

Visible Learning in Early Childhood

September 2021 | 232 pages | Corwin

Make learning visible in the early years   

Early childhood is a uniquely sensitive time, when young learners are rapidly developing across multiple domains, including language and literacy, mathematics, and motor skills. Knowing which teaching strategies work best and when can have a significant impact on a child’s development and future success. 

Visible Learning in Early Childhood investigates the critical years between ages 3 and 6 and, backed by evidence from the Visible Learning® research, explores seven core strategies for learning success: working together as evaluators, setting high expectations, measuring learning with explicit success criteria, establishing developmentally appropriate levels of learning, viewing mistakes as opportunities, continually seeking feedback, and balancing surface, deep, and transfer learning. The authors unpack the symbiotic relationship between these seven tenets through 

  • Authentic examples of diverse learners and settings
  • Voices of master teachers from the US, UK, and Australia
  • Multiple assessment and differentiation strategies
  • Multidisciplinary approaches depicting mathematics, literacy, art and music, social-emotional learning, and more

Using the Visible Learning research, teachers partner with children to encourage high expectations, developmentally appropriate practices, the right level of challenge, and a focus on explicit success criteria. Get started today and watch your young learners thrive!

"In their fascinating new book, Visible Learning in Early Childhood, Kateri Thunder, John Almarode, and John Hattie examine the studies that show which teaching practices have made the greatest impact on young learners in their early childhood classrooms. As readers, we gain insight into how these evidence-based practices are embedded in classroom instruction by learning from five early childhood educators who take us along their teaching journeys. This book is a beautiful, accessible blend of research and practice – where the research sets the foundation for teacher decision-making and comes alive in teachers’ enacted practices with young children."

Brian Kissel
Professor and Director of Elementary Education, Vanderbilt University

"Visible Learning in Early Childhood provides an articulate and accessible argument for implementing evidence-based practices that will have the greatest effects on children’s learning. Grounded in seven core ideas from the research, the authors answer the question: What works best when? The authors unpack the research and then connect it to practical applications as they describe the research in action inside early childhood classrooms. This book is a must-read for early childhood educators, administrators, and professors."

Lindsey Moses
Associate Professor, Arizona State University
Key features
Some additional information about the market:

Currently, thirty-nine states plus the District of Columbia offer some form of voluntary Universal Pre-K, but not every child is eligible. In order to be considered universal, the program must be offered to all children, no matter the circumstances.

State-funded Pre-K programs currently serve 22 percent of four-year-olds and 3 percent of three-year-olds in the U.S.

Nationally, about 70 percent of children in state-funded Pre-K are served in a school setting. For-profit and non-profit childcare centers, Head Start centers, and faith-based providers serve the other 30 percent.

Florida, Georgia, and Oklahoma are the only states that currently make Pre-K available to all four-year-olds.

The District of Columbia, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, New York, and West Virginia have multi-year plans to implement Pre-K for all four-year- olds.
Twelve states have no state-funded Pre-K program.

NAEYC, the country's largest organization dedicated to the education of young children, has 60,000 members.

Purchasing options

Volume Discounts Available

contact corwin

Please select a format:

ISBN: 9781071825686
$29.95  $23.95*

For instructors