This book is a practical guide for principals and other school leaders to use as they work to improve literacy instruction in order to increase student achievement. It provides school leaders with an understanding of literacy instruction in the context of the commonly used balanced literacy framework; explores the role of the principal in the improvement process, a role characterized by shared leadership; and then guides school leaders through the process of developing effective school teams, creating a literacy plan, supporting classroom instruction, and implementing the literacy plan.
1. Setting the Stage
2. Foundations of Balanced Literacy
3. Meeting the Needs of All Students
4. Instructional Leadership in Action
5. School Improvement: The Literacy Plan
6. Working Together: Promoting Home/School/Community Partnerships
7. Sharing Leadership
8. Building Effective Teams
9. Supporting Classroom Instruction
10. Resolving Time Issues
Afterword: Are You Up to the Challenge?