"This book is filled with strategies to assist school leaders in assessing and monitoring many of the important elements that must be in place for kids to be successful. There are excellent tools that savvy leaders have been searching for—tools that will help them achieve their strategic vision of continuous improvement."
—Gina Marx, Assistant Superintendent
USD 262 Valley Center Schools, KS
Increase your school's effectiveness and ensure academic excellence for all students!
Written by best-selling author Elaine K. McEwan, this invaluable resource identifies the distinguishing qualities and unique characteristics of schools that help all students make outstanding gains in performance. Each chapter offers a comprehensive description of a research-based trait and examines its impact on student achievement. Featuring a "10 Traits Audit" for use by schools or districts, this book provides principals and administrators with:
- Tools and processes to facilitate the development of each trait
- Snapshots of each trait in actual schools and districts
- Reflections from teachers and administrators who have helped create effective schools
- Observations on the school improvement process from noted thinkers, theorists, and scholars
- Examples of documents, forms, and resources used in effective schools
By nurturing these traits in their schools, educational leaders can build coherent instructional programs and create schools of equity and excellence.