Strengthen programs of family and community engagement to promote equity and increase student success!
When schools, families, and communities collaborate and share responsibility for students' education, more students succeed in school. Based on 30 years of research and fieldwork, the fourth edition of the bestseller School, Family, and Community Partnerships: Your Handbook for Action, presents tools and guidelines to help develop more effective and more equitable programs of family and community engagement.
Written by a team of well-known experts, it provides a theory and framework of six types of involvement for action; up-to-date research on school, family, and community collaboration; and new materials for professional development and on-going technical assistance. Readers also will find:
- Examples of best practices on the six types of involvement from preschools, and elementary, middle, and high schools
- Checklists, templates, and evaluations to plan goal-linked partnership programs and assess progress
- CD-ROM with slides and notes for two presentations: A new awareness session to orient colleagues on the major components of a research-based partnership program, and a full One-Day Team Training Workshop to prepare school teams to develop their partnership programs. (Also available at ____ URL ________.)
As a foundational text, this handbook demonstrates a proven approach to implement and sustain inclusive, goal-linked programs of partnership. It shows how a good partnership program is an essential component of good school organization and school improvement for student success. This book will help every district and all schools strengthen and continually improve their programs of family and community engagement.
|1.1. School, Family, and Community Partnerships: Caring for the Children We Share|
|1.2. School-Community Partnerships: The Little Extra That Makes a Big Difference|
|1.3. Improving Student Outcomes with School, Family, and Community Partnerships: A Research Review|
|Six Types of Involvement to Improve School Climate and Student Success|
|Organizing an Effective Action Team for Partnerships: Questions and Answers|
|One-Day Team-Training Workshop|
|Components of a One-Day Team-Training Workshop|
|Planning an End-of-Year Celebration Workshop|
|Presentations and Handouts|
|Small Group Activities for Workshops|
|Improving School, Family, and Community Partnerships in Middle and High Schools|
|Predictors and Effects of Family Involvement in High Schools|
|A Goal-Linked Approach to Partnership Programs in Middle and High Schools|
|Tools for District Leaders|
|Tools for State Leaders|
|Tools for District, Organization, and State Leaders|
|District and State Leadership for School, Family, and Community Partnerships|
|TIPS Interactive Homework|
|TIPS Volunteers in Social Studies and Art|
|How to Implement Teachers Involve Parents in Schoolwork (TIPS) Processes|
|Evaluate Partnership Programs: Critical Considerations|
Changes to this edition:
· From a Reviewer- “This book gently reminded me through the examples, vignettes, cases, stories, etc. that there is so much more I can and need to do to adequately increase partnerships. This book also gives guidance to leaders on how they can simply and easily involve everyone to increase the involvement.” Even so- more broad based examples will be added per reviewer request.
- Chapter Six will be expanded with an explanation of why partnerships are important in elementary schools and special considerations for elementary schools.
- NCLB will be updated and references to CCSS will be added along with family, community discussions of implementation as well as resistance.
· A new chapter will be included on how to utilize new social media channels and resources. How do these fit into the types and how can they be used to expand partnerships?
- Since the book features many previously published chapters and articles, it does not always flow easily. The introduction sections in each chapter will be enhanced to make transitions easier for readers.
· Chapter 8 about homework will be updated with new research and examples as well as alignment of the TIPS Interactive Homework examples with the Common Core Standards.
· Margin notes on key ideas will be added per reviewer #5
- An updated CD-ROM with forms and a PowerPoint presentation for workshops