The go-to resource for ensuring the success of ALL learners!
Teaching students with diverse needs require educators to tap deep reserves of instructional know-how, empathy, responsiveness, and patience. And the mark of a great educator is ensuring that ALL learners reach their full potential - academically and emotionally.
For years, Inclusion Strategies that Work! has been an indispensable resource for K-12 teachers as they confidently assess, instruct, and differentiate inclusive lesson plans and strategies for inclusion. In this new edition, Toby J. Karten’s data-driven methods are updated with the latest research, connections to the Common Core, and legislative developments.
Beginning with a thoughtful look at why inclusion is so essential, Karten provides valuable advice on co-planning structured lessons, ways to leverage technology, and much more, including:
- Updated information on ADA, IDEA, writing IEPs, transitional services, classifications, RTI, metacognitive strategies, and links to the Common Core
- Tips for collaboratively working with families and making them an integral part of the inclusive team
- Interactive strategies and techniques that make concepts real in the classroom by honoring each individual student, and by not permitting a label to define a student or lower academic, behavioral, social, and emotional expectations
- An overview of special education legislative terminology
- Information on how to use emotional intelligence and brain-friendly learning to improve student outcomes
- Interactive online forms for planning, documentation, and collaboration
With this comprehensive resource, you will be equipped with the tools to transform your classroom into a more inclusive environment to ensure that each learner achieves success!
“Inclusion Strategies That Work! Third Edition is a must for administrators, general and special educators, related staff, and families who are looking for the one reference book on inclusion. Not only does it provide a wealth of information, it directs the reader to a host of other valuable resources and covers important basics which other professional books fail to address. Toby Karten’s sensitivity to respecting and meeting the diverse needs for students underscores the book. She embraces differences and provides a roadmap to inclusion. “
- Tobie Franklin, Director of Learning Support
The IDEAL School of Manhattan
"Ms. Karten brings a lifetime of experience and a common sense approach to teaching and working with students with disabilities in inclusive environments. This book places comprehensive strategies, resources and suggestions that are critical for success into the hands of all educators."
-Kathy Graham, Special Education Specialist
Region 3 Education Service Center, Victoria, TX