"Homework Done Right takes a fresh look at how to create homework assignments that students will be motivated to complete, not based on the grade alone, but on the real-life applications of the assignments. I have already begun tweaking existing assignments to make them more intellectually rewarding for my students!"
—Jessica Purcell, Science Teacher
South Fargo High School, Fargo, ND
"This book shows readers exactly why meaningful homework is best for students and provides teachers with answers to those perennial student questions: 'Why do we need to know that?' and 'When am I ever going to use this?'"
—Tim Tharrington, Sixth-Grade English teacher
Wakefield Middle School, Raleigh, NC
Turn homework into a meaningful learning experience that excites students!
Homework Done Right shows teachers how homework assignments can connect with the curriculum and with students' lives. Educators will learn how to design and implement active, creative assignments that promote 21st-century skills such as inquiry, problem solving, and critical thinking. Moving beyond the current "homework debate," this resource provides:
- Effective homework strategies and sample assignments for all K–12 levels and numerous subject areas
- Richly detailed vignettes describing how real teachers have changed their homework practices—including do's and don'ts
- Insights on how to use homework to promote parent involvement
- Guidance on helping students develop leadership and collaboration skills through activities such as questioning, evidence gathering, and interviewing
- Classroom-ready tools, including homework planning forms and other reproducibles
When homework assignments are challenging and relevant, students have a new opportunity to engage with learning and to succeed academically!