About the Author
1. The Promise and the Challenge of Classroom Assessment
How the Educational World has Changed
The Power of Classroom Assessment
The Case of "Understanding Learning and Assessment"
2. Situating Assessment Changes
A Brief History of Assessment
Looking for Change in all the Wrong Places
Rethinking Assessment for Real Change
Classroom Assessment and Large-Scale Reform
3. Assessment of Learning, for Learning, and as Learning
Getting the Balance Right
4. Spotlight on Learning
Learning for Understanding
Learning Happens in Context
5. Assessment and Learning
How Does Classroom Assessment Contribute to Learning?
Assessment as an Integral part of Teaching and Learning
Realizing the Power of Assessment to Optimize Learning
6. Using Assessment to Identify What They "Believe to Be True"
"The Case of the Pool Table"
Start With What They Believe to be True
7. Using Assessment to Motivate Learning
Assessment That Motivates
Assessment that Scaffolds Learning
Assessment to Reverse Socialization
8. Using Assessment to Make Connections
Curriculum as Visible Targets for Learning
Plan Learning, Plan Assessment, and Expect the Unexpected
"The Case of Planned Literacy"
9. Using Assessment to Extend Learning
Rubrics and Exemplars as Tools
"The Case of the Brass Band"
Ideas, Connections, and Extensions (ICE)
10. Using Assessment for Reflection and Self-Regulation
Students as Their Own Best Assessors
Developing Self-Regulating Habits of Mind
11. Getting to Assessment for Optimum Learning
It's About Learning, and It's About Time
Getting to the Spirit of AFL Requires Conceptual Change
Think About What You Believe to be True
Work Together in Collaborative Inquiry
Don't Give Up, But be Gentile With Yourself
Self-Regulation for You Too