"The authors have designed a process that respects the teacher's professionalism and works to collaborate with stakeholders in a discussion about standards and possible educational outcomes without becoming mechanical."
-From the Foreword by Fenwick W. English
Create a standards-based instructional plan that works!
In recent years, educational reform has required standards-based instruction and high levels of accountability from schools. To cope with an overcrowded and often overwhelming curriculum, educators need a way to meet the challenge of translating standards into effective teaching and learning. Aligning Standards and Curriculum for Classroom Success provides teachers with the tools and strategies they need to plan instruction that meets state and national standards.
This updated, revised edition includes the latest research about standards and curriculum design, expanded coverage of the development of criterion standards, increased attention to assessment, and new sample instructional plans. It also features:
- A structured dialogue process to help stakeholders reach consensus about what students should learn
- Step-by-step directions for developing criterion standards
- Guidelines for designing instructional plans based on standards
- Strategies for using standards to integrate the curriculum
- Examples of standards-based instructional plans for different content areas, courses, and grade levels
- A framework for ensuring that teachers evaluate students consistently and with continuity throughout a school or district
Providing high-quality instruction and ensuring student achievement in a standards-driven system is a challenge for all educators. This guide offers all the tools needed to successfully align standards to lesson planning.
|What Are Standards?|
|The Consensus for Standards|
|Standards-Based Instructional Plan: Language Arts|
|Stakeholders as Team Members|
|Steps in the CAST Dialogue Process|
|Standards-Based Instructional Plan: U.S. History|
|The Need for a Common Language|
|Criterion Standards and Integrated Authentic Assessment|
|Constructing the Verb Matrix|
|Standards-Based Instructional Plan: Mathematics|
|Writing Criterion Standards|
|Using Criterion Standards|
|Standards-Based Instructional Plan: English|
|Components of the Instructional Plans|
|Standards-Based Instructional Plans|
|Integrating the Curriculum|
|The Planned Course Document|
|Developing the Standards-Based Instructional Plan|
|Standards-Based Instructional Plan: Learning Support--Language Arts|