Hands-on, Practical Guidance for Educators
From math, literacy, equity, multilingual learners, and SEL, to assessment, school counseling, and education leadership, our books are research-based and authored by experts on topics most relevant to what educators are facing today.
The Will to Learn
Do the work. Do it with care. These inspirational guideposts will help us all build a world in which our schools can be both productive and humane.
- Grade Level: PreK-12
- ISBN: 9781071884744
- Published By: Corwin
- Series: Corwin Teaching Essentials
- Year: 2023
- Page Count: 280
- Publication date: April 28, 2023
Student demotivation is experienced as pain—for students, for us, for everyone.
But here's the good news: student demotivation is not inevitable. It's not "a sign of the times"; it's not "kids these days;" it's not "because of COVID."
Instead, it's a symptom of the fact that modern education has lost touch with several key realities:
- Every one of our students wants to want to learn
- Every school in the world can be both productive and humane—achievement and wellness aren’t opposed to one another but instead are friends
- As teachers, you and I have an outlandish (though not omnipotent) influence on the degree to which students in our classrooms experience the will to learn, and
- The most powerful strategies for cultivating student motivation are far from complicated
In this book, acclaimed teacher-writer Dave Stuart Jr. brings a new theory of student motivation to the educational conversation. Along the way, he shares
Let's do the work, colleague. And: let's do it with care.
Table of Contents
Prologue: A Book About Love
Chapter 1: On the Teaching of Souls Toward Long-Term Flourishing
Chapter 2: The Five Key Beliefs: How They Work
EFFORT & EFFICACY
Conclusion: Healers of Souls
Other Titles in: Student Engagement & Motivation