Hands-on, Practical Guidance for Educators
literacy, equity, multilingual learners, and SEL, to assessment, school counseling,
and education leadership, our books are research-based and authored by experts
on topics most relevant to what educators are facing today.
The PBIS Tier One Handbook
- Grade Level: PreK-12
- ISBN: 9781483375571
- Published By: Corwin
- Year: 2015
- Page Count: 200
- Publication date: May 28, 2015
When you select 'request review copy', you will be redirected to Sage Publishing (our parent site) to process your request.
Harness the proactive power of PBIS to improve student behavior
More punishment won’t improve student behavior. Now, there’s a better way: The Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports (PBIS) Champion Model. Through this breakthrough alternative, schools have reduced disciplinary incidences by 50% or more by implementing proactive, school-wide prevention practices.
This research-based, action-oriented framework written by leading experts in PBIS implementation, will show you how to create a school culture where all students achieve both social and academic success. You’ll find:
- A convincing case for why teaching appropriate behavior, rather than punishing inappropriate behavior, is more effective for creating an environment conducive to learning
- A step-by-step framework for implementing a comprehensive systems approach, with specific actions to develop, monitor, and sustain each level of the system
- Success stories from teachers and administrators who have implemented the PBIS Champion Model
- Self-assessment exercises to ensure PBIS implementation starts on the right track and stays there
Through this approach, you’ll have the tools to create a school environment that accelerates learning and has a positive impact on the emotional, social, academic, and physical well-being of every child.
"This concisely-crafted book provides schools a systematic and doable framework for a comprehensive approach to building school climate, recognizing positive and appropriate behavior, and reducing detrimental school issues."
Katy Olweiler, MA, MPA, NCC, Counselor
Lakeside School, Seattle, Washington
"Finally, we have a book that will impress readers who need to understand PBIS and become a resource on how to implement it successfully."
Roberto Pamas, Principal
O.W. Holmes Middle School, Alexandria, Virginia
- The PBIS Champion Model System is a framework for creating a comprehensive systems approach to implementing RTI Behavior (PBIS) successfully in schools.
- It is a research-based, action-oriented framework, providing quality criteria and steps for developing, implementing, monitoring, and sustaining each level of the system.
- The framework is designed to help organize, improve, and sustain effective behavioral systems in the elementary, secondary, and alternative educaiton settings.
- The case studies in this book and the testimonials are from teachers and administrators in the field who have implemented the PBIS Champion Model System successfully.
- This is the first of a 4-book series that will be designed to match the authors' trainings
Table of Contents
About the Authors
1. The What and Why of PBIS
2. The PBIS Champion Model System and What Led to Its Development
3. Getting Started With category A – Tier 1 PBIS Markers
4. Getting Started With category B – Tier 1 School-Wide Characteristics
5. Getting Started With category C – Tier 1 School-Wide Academic/Behavioral Goals and the Work of the PBIS Team
6. Lessons Learned, Case Studies, and Bringing It All Together
Appendix Resources A
Appendix Resources B
Appendix Resources C
"This book is an exceptional resource for schools that have a PBIS program in place, as well as for those that are ready to transform their culture and prepare students for academic and behavioral success. The PBIS structure is deconstructed with fail-proof system that truly bridges the knowledge-implementation gap. The book introduces and explains with thorough assessments, examples for implementation, actions to consider, identified red flags, and specific challenges from the field with corresponding practical solutions. Every PBIS team needs a copy of this text."Franciene Sabens, Professional School Counselor
Chester High School, Chester, Illinois
"Finally we have a book that will impress readers who need to understand PBIS and become a resource they will go to for advice on how to implement it successfully."Roberto Pamas, Principal
O.W. Holmes Middle School , Alexandria, Virginia
"This concisely-crafted book provides schools a systematic and doable program for a comprehensive approach to building school climate, recognizing positive and appropriate behavior, and reducing detrimental school issues."Katy Olweiler, MA, MPA, NCC, Counselor