Hands-on, Practical Guidance for Educators
literacy, equity, multilingual learners, and SEL, to assessment, school counseling,
and education leadership, our books are research-based and authored by experts
on topics most relevant to what educators are facing today.
Simply Stations: Listening and Speaking, Grades K-4
Simply Stations: Listening and Speaking gives everything you need to incorporate this important literacy station year-round: setup instructions, lesson plans, printable tools, recommended resources, and real-classroom examples.
- Grade Level: PreK-12
- ISBN: 9781544367163
- Published By: Corwin
- Series: Corwin Literacy
- Year: 2020
- Page Count: 168
- Publication date: February 07, 2020
When you select 'request review copy', you will be redirected to Sage Publishing (our parent site) to process your request.
Teach students how to practice listening comprehension skills independently – so learning sticks
Simply Stations: Listening and Speaking shows how to ensure that elementary students are purposefully and effectively practicing listening comprehension, accountable talk, phonological awareness, oral language, and vocabulary skills every day. Your students will soon be purposefully engaged and making critical steps to owning their learning.
Debbie Diller has been refining literacy stations (sometimes called centers) for more than 40 years, working with thousands of teachers and students. In this book, she guides you step-by-step through planning for instruction that incorporates literacy standards, setting up and launching listening and speaking stations, varying and refreshing content throughout the year, to reflection and ongoing modification.
What stands out in this book is the full integration of instruction; Debbie shows how whole-group lessons transfer to stations work so students are practicing key skills independently – and gives you everything needed for success:
- Recommendations by grade level at every step, including grade-appropriate materials and audio resources for each station;
- Whole-group lesson plans, differentiated by grade level and based on key literacy standards, to introduce and support partner work;
- On-the-spot formative assessment ideas and troubleshooting tips;
- Ideas to improve English Language Learner’s language acquisition, including online Spanish-language materials;
- 30 time-saving downloadable resources for teachers and students to ensure success; and
- Dozens of full-color, real-classroom photos so you see the possibilities first-hand.
Simply Stations: Listening and Speaking gives you invaluable tips, solutions, and insight that can transform the way your students learn and practice listening and speaking skills. It’s time to boost the impact of your literacy stations!
Don’t miss the other books in the Simply Stations series! Visit corwin.com/simplystations for more.
- Step-by-step instructions for setting up literacy stations
- Guidance on planning the speaking & listening station from standards to whole group instruction to stations
- Sample lesson plans for teaching new skills so kids can practice with partners in stations
- Full-color photographs to show what kids are doing the speaking & listening station
- Printable teacher and student tools to use in planning, teaching, and station practice
- Materials lists, reflection guides, and recommended resources for developmentally appropriate audio
- Everything teachers need to plan, teach, and set up a speaking & listening station – and keep it running throughout the year
- Teachers will be able to roll out a speaking & listening station quickly and easily, then modify it as needed
- Practical advice from a teacher who’s been using and improving on stations for almost 40 years
Table of Contents
Section 1: Literacy Stations Overview
Literacy station basics and frequently asked questions
Getting started with stations
Management board how-to
Section 2: Listening & Speaking Station Basics
Why include this station?
What do students do at this station?
How do I keep stations varied & fresh?
What are the essential materials?
How do I set up stations?
How do I introduce the listening & speaking station?
What are some signs of success?
Section 3: Planning & Teaching for the Listening & Speaking Station
Start with solid planning
Use timeless standards as a guide
Teach for transfer: From Whole-group to Stations
Section 4: Listening & Speaking Station Reflection, Printables, and Resources