Hands-on, Practical Guidance for Educators
From math, literacy, equity, multilingual learners, and SEL, to assessment, school counseling, and education leadership, our books are research-based and authored by experts on topics most relevant to what educators are facing today.
On-Your-Feet Guide: Distance Learning by Design, Grades 3-12
- Grade Level: PreK-12
- ISBN: 9781071836408
- Published By: Corwin
- Series: On-Your-Feet-Guides
- Year: 2020
- Page Count: 6
- Publication date: October 30, 2020
All On-Your-Feet Guide orders receive FREE SHIPPING! Use code SHIPOYFG at check out.
The pandemic teaching of mid-2020 was really not distance learning. It was also not homeschooling, which is a choice parents make for very specific reasons. It was crisis teaching. Now, we have time to be more purposeful and intentional with distance learning. What should not be lost is that as a field we learned more about what works by, at times, experiencing what didn’t work in a virtual setting. It heightened our sense of what we already knew in face-to-face classrooms (Hattie, 2020):
- Fostering student self-regulation is crucial for moving learning to deep and transfer levels
- Learning accelerates when the student, not the teacher, is in control of learning
- There needs to be a diversity of instructional approaches (not just some direct instruction and then some off-line independent work)
- Well-designed peer learning impacts understanding
- Feedback in a high trust environment must be integrated into the learning cycle
Let’s use what we have learned and are continuing to learn, whether in a face-to-face or distance learning environment. As a part of face-to-face teaching, let’s build our students’ capacity (and our own) for distance learning. Now we have time to use evidence about what works best to impact students. Inspired by The Distance Learning Playbook, this On-Your-Feet Guide will apply the wisdom of Visible Learning research to distance learning in a quick, easy-to-navigate guide.
On-Your-Feet Guides (OYFGs) provide you with the ultimate “cheat sheet” to implement effective change in your classroom while in the moment of teaching. Designed for accessibility, and providing step-by-step guidance, the OYFGs are written by experts who take research-based practices and make them doable for the busy teacher.
Each On-Your-Feet Guide is laminated, 8.5”x11” tri-fold (6 pages), and 3-hole punched.
Use the On-Your-Feet Guides
- When you know the “what” but need help with the “how”
- As a quick reference to support a practice you learned in a PD workshop or book
- To learn how to implement foundational practices
- When you want to help your students learn a specific strategy, routine, or approach, but aren’t sure how to do it yourself