Hands-on, Practical Guidance for Educators
From math, literacy, equity, multilingual learners, and SEL, to assessment, school counseling, and education leadership, our books are research-based and authored by experts on topics most relevant to what educators are facing today.
Modifying Your Thinking Classroom for Different Settings
- Grade Level: PreK-12
- ISBN: 9781071857847
- Published By: Corwin
- Series: Corwin Mathematics Series
- Year: 2021
- Page Count: 120
- Publication date: September 01, 2021
Keep thinking…keep learning in different settings
In Peter Liljedahl’s bestselling Building Thinking Classrooms in Mathematics: 14 Teaching Practices for Enhancing Learning, readers discovered that thinking is a precursor to learning. Translating 15 years of research, the anchor book introduced 14 practices that have the most potential to increase student thinking in the classroom and can work for any teacher in any setting.
But how do these practices work in a classroom with social distancing or in settings that are not always face-to-face? This follow-up supplement will answer those questions, and more. It walks teachers through how to adapt the 14 practices for 12 distinct settings, some of which came about as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. This guide:
- Provides the what, why, and how to adapt each practice in face-to-face settings that require social distancing, fixed seating, or small class sizes; synchronous and asynchronous virtual settings; synchronous and asynchronous hybrid settings; independent learning; and homeschooling.
- Includes guidance on using thinking classroom practices to support students in unfinished learning in small groups and one-on-one teaching or tutoring.
- Offers updated toolkits and a recommended order for the implementation of the practices for each of the settings.
Table of Contents
About the Author
Category 1: Face-to-face
Chapter 1: Building a Thinking Classroom with Social Distancing
Chapter 2: Building a Thinking Classroom with Fixed Seating
Chapter 3: Building a Thinking Classroom with Small Class Sizes
Category 3: Virtual
Chapter 4: Building a Thinking Classroom for a Synchronous Virtual Setting
Chapter 5: Building a Thinking Classroom in an Asynchronous Virtual Setting
Category 2: Hybrid
Chapter 6: Building a Thinking Classroom for an Asynchronous Hybrid Setting
Chapter 7: Building a Thinking Classroom for a Synchronous Hybrid Setting
Category 4: Other Learning Environments
Chapter 8: Building a Thinking Classroom for Independent Learning
Chapter 9: Building a Thinking Classroom for Homeschooling
Category 5: Supporting Learners
Chapter 10: Supporting Students with Unfinished Learning of Previous Concepts in a Thinking Classroom
Chapter 11: Supporting Students with Unfinished Learning of the Current Concepts in a Thinking Classroom
Chapter 12: Thinking Classroom Practices for One-on-One Teaching