Hands-on, Practical Guidance for Educators
literacy, equity, multilingual learners, and SEL, to assessment, school counseling,
and education leadership, our books are research-based and authored by experts
on topics most relevant to what educators are facing today.
Inclusion Activities That Work! Grades K-2
((Teachers Catalog Copy, Set Description, A Copy))
Proven inclusion strategies for every classroom!
Expert educator Toby Karten helps teachers meet the challenge of inclusion by providing the tools they need to teach identical standards to students with diverse abilities. Following the format of her best-selling Inclusion Strategies That Work!, Karten translates core strategies into adaptable, classroom-tested activities, helping both general and special education teachers to:
- Include students of differing abilities, learning styles, and intelligences while meeting national standards
- Promote learning beyond the basic concepts
- Enhance student performance and improve study skills
- Create an accepting classroom climate that motivates all learners
((Dealers Catalog Copy, Set Description, A Copy))
Proven inclusion strategies for every classroom!
In today's inclusive classrooms, educators must meet identical standards for students with diverse abilities. This Corwin Press Classroom set makes it easier for both general and special education teachers to do just that! Based on Toby Karten's best-selling Inclusion Strategies That Work!, these resources offer an array of classroom-tested activities that feature:
- Inclusion tips to help teachers include students of differing intelligences and abilities
- Extension activities to promote learning beyond the basic concepts
- Comprehensive reading lists and activities that increase students' exposure and sensitivity to others
- Tools for improving study skills
- Grade Level: PreK-12, Elementary
- ISBN: 9781412952330
- Published By: Corwin
- Year: 2007
- Page Count: 96
- Publication date: October 08, 2007
When you select 'request review copy', you will be redirected to Sage Publishing (our parent site) to process your request.
Download a Sample Lesson Plan
and Student Activity
Proven inclusion strategies for every elementary classroom!
Expert educator Toby Karten helps teachers meet the challenge of inclusion by providing the tools they need to teach identical standards to students with diverse abilities. Using the successful format from her best-selling Inclusion Strategies That Work!, Karten translates core strategies into classroom-tested activities that can be modified for students at any skill or ability level.
This comprehensive resource covers a variety of topics, including reading, writing, math, comprehension and study skills, and reflective assessment, testing, and grading. Karten's ready-to-use activities make it easy for teachers to create an accepting and empathic classroom climate that motivates all learners. Elementary teachers will discover how to enhance student performance by setting academic goals and improving students' study skills, promote learning beyond the basic concepts, and much more!
Perfect for both general and special education teachers, this practical volume includes:
- Graphic organizers and word play that build word deciphering and comprehension skills
- Creative techniques for using hands-on math manipulatives and games
- Different methods for students of multiple intelligences to approach the same task
- Interactive strategies for improving speaking and listening skills
Packed with creative, step-by-step activities, this essential resource helps teachers instruct students of differing abilities, learning styles, and intelligences while meeting national standards.
For other grade-specific Corwin Press Classroom books, please see:
Inclusion Activities That Work! Grades 3-5
Inclusion Activities That Work! Grades 6-8
About the Author
Toby J. Karten is an experienced educator who has been involved in the field of special education since 1976 and has had the opportunity to help many children and adults from elementary through graduate levels. Along with being a resource center teacher in New Jersey, Karten has developed a graduate course entitled Disability Awareness and has presented at local, state, and national workshops and conferences. Karten has been recognized by both the Council for Exceptional Children and the New Jersey Department of Education as an exemplary educator, receiving two "Teacher of the Year" awards. She has an undergraduate degree in special education from Brooklyn College, a master's degree from the College of Staten Island, and a supervisory degree from Georgian Court College.
Table of Contents
Connections to Standards
Put It Into Practice
4. Connecting Students to the Curriculum
5. Comprehension and Study Skills
6. Reflective Assessment, Testing, and Grading
7. Creating a Climate for Classroom Acceptance
8. Teacher-Friendly Inclusion Forms
“The different grade levels and approaches of these workbooks make them a top pick for any library strong in classroom workbooks and activities for teachers. Each workbook holds some 96 pages of projects, with fill-in blanks and ideas perfect for photocopying and classroom use. All are outstanding workbooks that teachers will appreciate.”California Bookwatch, March 2008
Midwest Book Review