Hands-on, Practical Guidance for Educators
literacy, equity, multilingual learners, and SEL, to assessment, school counseling,
and education leadership, our books are research-based and authored by experts
on topics most relevant to what educators are facing today.
Evidence-Based Strategies for Leading 21st Century Schools
Foreword by Keith Krueger
A companion to the best-selling Leading 21st Century Schools, this inspiring book provides tips and insights from award-winning schools that use technology to advance student success.
- Grade Level: PreK-12
- ISBN: 9781412997294
- Published By: Corwin
- Year: 2012
- Page Count: 192
- Publication date: December 21, 2012
When you select 'request review copy', you will be redirected to Sage Publishing (our parent site) to process your request.
Discover how award-winning schools advance students' learning through technology!
How can a school best use technology for teaching and learning? This inspiring book profiles eight visionary schools that are achievers in how they approach technology. In this companion to Leading 21st Century Schools, Lynne Schrum and Barbara Levin offer insights direct from principals, teachers, superintendents, and others involved in implementing technology in K-12 environments.
Readers will find a step-by-step guide to building a 21st century school, complete with resource directories and study group questions. This book will provide evidence-based strategies for:
- Becoming a school culture that embraces technology and 21st century skills
- Creating a 21st century classroom, including new instructional approaches and professional development opportunities
- Selecting the right technology plan, infrastructure, and devices for your school
- Managing costs through funding and budget strategies
- Measuring progress through effective use of data
Learn from 21st century schools in action and develop your own path to integrating technology within your school!
"If I were a leader moving my school or district toward a digital age environment, I would want two things: a conversation with people who had done it to learn what worked and what didn't, and a real review of the literature. This book supplies a deep dose of both. Even a brief dive offers nuggets of applicable information for leaders."
—Hall Davidson, Senior Director of Global Learning Initiatives
"Schrum and Levin not only look at the growing research, but look deeply at successful schools that are utilizing 21st century tools and what factors influence their success. This book contributes significantly to the necessary skills of tomorrow's leaders."
—Chip Kimball, Superintendent
Lake Washington School District
- Provides concrete examples of leadership strategies that are gleaned from and endorsed by school leaders around the country as having been successful and necessary for school improvement in areas including using technology for assessment, planning, curriculum revisions, communication, community relations, implementing their visions, and professional development, ultimately for the goal of increasing student achievement.
- Includes numerous evidence-based strategies for each issue tied to real-world interviews, stories, and cases gathered from 8 award-winning schools and districts.
- Each chapter opens with a story from one of the award-winning schools or districts and ends with book study questions and a Call To Action that details action items for leaders to take in order to advance the goal of a 21st century learning environment.
Table of Contents
Foreword by Keith Krueger
About the Authors
1. A Path to a 21st Century Education: The Role of Vision and Mission
2. Implementing the Vision: What Is Leadership in a 21st Century School?
3. What About the Pipes, Wires, and More? Planning and Supporting Technology in 21st Century Education
4. Supporting 21st Century Educators' Efforts: Models of Professional Development to Support Change
5. What Does a 21st Century Classroom Look Like? How Curriculum and Instructional Practices Change
6. Setting the Stage: The Importance of Attending to School Culture
7. Ideas About Funding 21st Century Technology Initiatives: Tools, Options, and Resources
8. Reaching Out to Parents, Families, and the Community: Creating Partnerships Is a Win-Win Proposition
"Evidence-Based Strategies for Leading 21st Century Schools provides excellent examples of successful practices in schools that are leading the way with the integration of technology for the purpose of preparing students for the future."Margarete Couture, Principal
South Seneca Central School District, Interlaken, NY
“Schrum and Levin not only look at the growing research, but look deeply at successful schools that are utilizing 21st century tools and what factors influence their success. This book contributes significantly to the necessary skills of tomorrow’s leaders.”Chip Kimball, Superintendent
Lake Washington School District, WA
"This book provides examples chosen from east and west coasts, from the south and the heartland, and from large districts to small schools. It is rich not only because of the authors’ own 300 hours of observation and interviews, but also because of the deep references to the existing research in the field."Hall Davidson, Senior Director of Global Learning Initiatives