Hands-on, Practical Guidance for Educators
From math, literacy, equity, multilingual learners, and SEL, to assessment, school counseling, and education leadership, our books are research-based and authored by experts on topics most relevant to what educators are facing today.
Designing and Implementing Effective Professional Learning
Teacher professional development (PD) is critical to students’ success. This book demonstrates research-based strategies for planning, executing and evaluating the results of PD programs.
- Grade Level: PreK-12
- ISBN: 9781452257792
- Published By: Corwin
- Year: 2013
- Page Count: 256
- Publication date: September 18, 2013
For sustained success, educators must commit to their own lifelong improvement.
Commitment to high-quality professional learning is a common aspect of educational systems of the the world’s highest-achieving nations. Despite evidence that effective professional learning can be a powerful lever for school improvement, much of the professional development (PD) that is conducted in the United States has had limited impact on teacher practice...
In these pages, John Murray identifies research-based characteristics of effective teacher professional learning, detailing eight strategies for planning and executing professional development programs and evaluating their results. Content includes:
- The proven “backward” approach to articulating the goals of your PD program
- Descriptions of innovative and effective designs for professional learning such as Lesson Study and Instructional Rounds
- Powerful approaches to designing and implementing online PD
Packed with templates that make getting started easy, this all-in-one resource will facilitate deep professional learning that truly enhances student achievement.
“This book is one that any teacher or administrator who is involved with leading professional learning and continuous improvement—new to the field or with great experience—would find great value in.”
— Jeff Ronneberg, Superintendent
Spring Lake Park Schools, MN
“This is a critical resource that should be on every education leader’s bookshelf. You will be challenged to find another book with so much helpful information on so many important professional development strategies that you can get started on immediately to facilitate real change in your school.”
— John D. Ross, Educational Consultant
- An authoritative, state-of-the-art sourcebook for planning, designing, and implementing high quality professional learning.
- Provides an original conceptual framework that is based on the premise that effective professional learning is informed by context, content, and process.
- Includes full chapter treatment of seven promising designs for professional learning including Lesson Study, Instructional Rounds, and best online approaches.
- Each of the chapters on PD designs begins with a realistic example of the strategy being used which is later integrated throughout the chapter to help readers understand how to effectively implement the design.
- Includes templates and other reproducibles to assist readers with implementation.
Table of Contents
List of Figures
About the Author
1. The Need for Change
Traditional Approaches to Teacher Professional Learning
New Demands Require Change
2. Effective Teacher Professional Learning
Theoretical Models of Professional Development Action
Characteristics of Effective Professional Development
3. Context: Building an Atmosphere to Support Teacher Learning
4. Content: Specifying the Goals of Professional Learning Activities
Evaluating Your Professional Development Program
5. Process: Selecting Specific Activities and Strategies
6. Lesson Study
A Cycle of Instructional Improvement
The Lesson Study Philosophy
Lesson Study Steps
The Essential Elements of Lesson Study
Challenges to Engaging in Lesson Study: Misconceptions to Avoid
7. Critical Friends
The Origins of Critical Friends
The Philosophy of CFGs
Critical Friends Steps
The Essential Elements of Critical Friends
Benefits of CFGs
8. School Rounds
A Lesson From Medicine
The Rationale for School Rounds
The Steps in School Rounds
Learning With Rounds
9. Action Research
A Hands-On Approach
Why Choose Action Research?
The Action Research Process
Benefits of Action Research
The Power of Relationships
Why Mentoring Matters
Essential Steps in Building a Mentoring Program
The Work of Mentoring
The Role of the Principal
11. Peer Coaching
Harnessing Peer-to-Peer Wisdom
The Rationale for Peer Coaching
Essential Steps of the Peer Coaching Process
12. Online Professional Development
The Rationale for Online Professional Development
A Framework for Implementing Online Professional Development
Monitoring and Evaluating Online Professional Development
13. Personal Learning Networks
The Power of PLNs
The Process of Creating and Cultivating PLNs
Using Tools to Connect: Early PLN Formation
Advanced PLN Formation: What Does It Look Like?
The Challenges of PLNs
14.The Challenges of Introducing New Forms of Teacher Professional Learning
How Have Teachers Experienced Past Professional Development?
Are Teacher Needs and Preferences Being Considered?
Are Teachers Treated With Respect?
Are Teachers Being Asked to Collaborate, Think, and Innovate?
Do School Leaders Make the New Strategies Easy to Implement?
Are Professional Development Activities Linked to a Compelling Purpose?
Breaking Down Barriers
15. A Call to Action
"This is a critical resource that should be on every education leader’s bookshelf. Anyone involved with staff development will find help in the clear and concise information Murray provides. You will be challenged to find another book with so much helpful information on so many important professional development strategies that you can get started on immediately to facilitate real change in your school."John D. Ross, Educational Consultant
"This book is one that any teacher or administrator who is involved with leading professional learning and continuous improvement—new to the field or with great experience—would find great value in. "Jeff Ronneberg, Superintendent
Spring Lake Park Schools, MN
"Library media specialists will find this information helpful in their role as school leaders and staff developers. Short, readable chapters, solid information, lists and many tables contribute to the book’s extreme usefulness."Library Media Connection, August/September 2014