Hands-on, Practical Guidance for Educators
From math, literacy, equity, multilingual learners, and SEL, to assessment, school counseling, and education leadership, our books are research-based and authored by experts on topics most relevant to what educators are facing today.
The second edition of this humor-filled guide features revised Principles of Optimism, expanded focus on leadership, updated strategies and thought-provoking scenarios, and interactive action steps.
- Grade Level: PreK-12
- ISBN: 9781071889053
- Published By: Corwin
- Year: 2023
- Page Count: 224
- Publication date: May 16, 2023
Even more ways for educators to flourish
A lot has changed in schools since Deliberate Optimism was first published, but one thing hasn’t: Attitude can make all the difference. When educators choose optimism—even in the face of the toughest challenges—they foster a school culture where students and staff feel safe, engaged, and productive, able to enjoy the healthy interactions that lead to real change.
Updated to address major changes in education since 2015, the second edition of this much-loved book features new doses of the same cathartic humor, plus
- Revised, more succinct Principles of Optimism
- Expanded focus on leadership
- Updated strategies and thought-provoking scenarios
- Interactive “Action Step” exercises
- A new chapter on mental health
- QR codes leading to additional resources such as self-assessments and videos
Optimism is the salve for overworked leaders and teachers, and this book delivers on outlining its indisputable benefits. Brimming with wit and honesty, the updated Deliberate Optimism demonstrates how changing your mindset can help you rediscover your motivation—and create a school environment bound for success.
Through research-based strategies, practical examples, and thought-provoking scenarios, the authors provide food for thought along with enough humor to make the journey fun. Discussion questions and action steps follow each chapter, and an appendix of further activities is provided at the end of the book.
- Visual elements: graphs, charts, forms, graphics
- written by authors with extensive experience as classroom teachers and school leaders
- practical, realistic take on what it's like to be an educator
- offers practical, useful, implementable advice
- filled with cathartic humor
- authentic vignettes from teachers in the field
- Researched-based; Comprehensive bibliography
- Comprehensive appendix including additional activities
• Additional focus on leadership for both teachers and administrators.
• Updated information and suggestions addressing the major changes in education since 2015
• Revised, more succinct Principles of Optimism.
• Chapters revised to include a designated chapter for each Principle of Optimism.
• Interactive “Action Step” exercises for the reader in each chapter.
• Updated research and examples.
• QR codes in every chapter for addition resources.
• Added chapter on mental health.
• More General Discussion Questions and Action Steps for school leaders at the end of each chapter.
Table of Contents
Preface to the second edition
Introduction: Choosing to Enter Education Is a Telling Vote for Optimism
Chapter 1: Principle #1: Gather Information
Chapter 2: Principle #2: Control What You Can
Chapter 3: Principle #3: Do Something Positive
Chapter 4: Principle #4: Own Your Part
Chapter 5: Mental Health Is Health
Chapter 6: “But We Have This One Teacher Who keeps Ruining Everything!”
Chapter 7: Building a Positive Shared School Community
Chapter 8: Joyful School Communities – The Sum of Their Parts
Appendix I.1 Life Orientation Test
Appendix I.2 Happiness and Optimism Tests
Appendix I.3 Life on a Roll
Appendix 1.1 Four Principles of Deliberate Optimism
Appendix 1.2 The 4 Principles of Deliberate Optimism Worksheet
Appendix 1.3 Realistic Awareness
Appendix 1.4 Recognizing and Celebrating Staff
Appendix 3.1 Tips for Writing Letters to Students
Appendix 5.1 Twelve Ways to Reduce Stress
Appendix 6.1 Ten Tips for Improving Interpersonal Relationships
Appendix 6.2 Life Is a Theatre
Appendix 7.1 Effective Team-Building Activities
Appendix 7.2 Student Accountability
Appendix 7.3 Loyalty
Appendix 8.1 Student-Led Conferences
This is a carousel with review cards. Use the previous and next buttons to navigate.
You need to buy two copies of this book. One to keep on your desk so youRoselind Wiseman
can grab it when you need immediate strategies to handle the challenges that
arise. The other to keep on your bedside table so you can read it again for
comfort, reassurance, and encouragement. This is the book that will keep you
in education . . . sane, calm, competent, and resilient.
Co-founder, Cultures of Dignity
This new edition is hardcore. Newly updated with their characteristic humor,Rick Wormeli
real classroom examples, robust new research, action steps, and appendices
worth the price alone, Debbie and Jack have outdone themselves. This is real
aloe on the wounds and a bright lantern for the way forward to converting
radical hope into effective educational practice while finding grounds for joy
along the way.
Teacher/Principal Training and Author
With Deliberate Optimism you will have everything you need to reimagine anMartinrex Kedziora
environment of passion and purpose. It is an essential guide for achieving the
best version of yourself! Every teacher and district team member should be
given this book to help them accelerate kindness and caring in our schools.
Superintendent of Schools, Moreno Valley United School District
This book serves as a beacon of hope. We sail forward guided by the positiveStephen Sroka
momentum of these Principles and Action Steps to navigate the present
challenges and prepare for those to come. Get on board for a joyful journey of
deliberate optimism based on honesty, humor, and hope.
National Teacher Hall of Fame Inductee Walt Disney American Teacher of the Year Fellow of the American School Health Association and Adjunct Assistant Professor, School of Medicine, Case Western Reserve University