Your user’s guide to the mathematics standards
In the 12 short months since the ELA versions of The Common Core Companions, Grades K-2 and 3-5, burst on the scene, they’ve already assisted tens of thousands of teachers with the day-to-day “what you do.” Teachers’ one big criticism: what about mathematics? Luckily NCTM past-president Linda Gojak and mathematics coach Ruth Harbin Miles stepped up to the task. The result? That version of the mathematics standards you wish you had.
Page by page, The Common Core Mathematics Companions clearly lay out:
- The mathematics embedded in each standard for a deeper understanding of the content
- Examples of what effective teaching and learning look like in the classroom
- Connected standards within each domain so teachers can better appreciate how they relate
- Priorities within clusters so teachers know where to focus their time
- The three components of rigor: conceptual understanding, procedural skills, and applications
- Vocabulary and suggested materials for each grade-level band with explicit connections to the standards
- Common student misconceptions around key mathematical ideas with ways to address them
Don’t spend another minute poring over the mathematics standards. Gojak and Miles have already done the heavy-lifting for you. Focus instead on how to teach them, using The Common Core Mathematics Companion as your one-stop guide for teaching, planning, assessing, collaborating, and designing powerful mathematics curriculum.
Winner of the Presidential Award for Excellence in Science and Mathematics Teaching, and director of John Carroll University’s Center for Mathematics and Science Education, Linda Gojak has spent 28 years teaching elementary and middle school mathematics and 15 years working with K–8 teachers. She has served as the president of the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), the National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics (NCSM), and the Ohio Council of Teachers of Mathematics.
Ruth Harbin Miles is a mathematics coach, with special expertise in developing teachers’ content knowledge and strategies for engaging students to achieve high standards in mathematics. She has served on the Board of Directors for the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM), the National Council of Supervisors of Mathematics (NCSM), and both the Virginia Council of Teachers of Mathematics and the Kansas Association of Teachers of Mathematics.
Also From Corwin:
- Gojak & Miles/Common Corwin Mathematics Companion, Grades 3-5
- Taberski/The Common Core Companion, K-2
- Hull/The Common Core Mathematics Standards