Each chapter includes activities to explore, and the book covers:
- the myriad of skills which may be elicited through music making
- the importance of sound discrimination to literacy
- the links between how the brain processes both music and language
- how to develop literacy skills through musical activities
- ideas to support teaching literacy through phonics
Written for teachers, practitioners, teaching assistants and childminders, as well as for anyone working with children in nursery and primary schools, children's centres and at home, this book provides a wealth of information. It is an invaluable resource to support the development of children's literacy skills in an enjoyable and effective way.
Maria Kay is a teacher and music and literacy specialist, currently developing and delivering literacy- through-music programmes.