"Effective, timely, and engaging! A practical approach to transforming educators into successful and reflective school administrators."
John C. Daresh
Author of Beginning The Principalship
Insight into the perceptions, personal values, and personalities that help principals succeed!
A successful principal is more than a good manager. Becoming an effective school leader means understanding the culture as well as acquiring the technical skills.
If You Want to Lead, Not Just Manage tells you what the Masters programs don't—about the personalities and value systems that school leaders need to succeed. First-year administrators and graduate students will find this a practical gauge in determining 'what it takes' to become a successful principal. More experienced administrators will find it a useful tool for reflection and validation of their own practices and approaches within the school and district.
Key issues include:
- Matching your personality with the role of principal
- Navigating the school culture successfully
- Changing the organization without alienating the culture
- Blending the best of management and leadership
- Fitting in – marketing yourself as well as your school
- Culture shock – when teachers become principals
This is the book that closes the gap between theory and practice, teaching prospecting and current administrators how to lead at every level.