About the Author
1. The Responsibility for School Crisis Intervention: Whose Job Is This, Anyway?
Who Should Provide Crisis Intervention?
Eager to Help But Unprepared
2. Necessary Attributes and Abilities for Team Members: What Does It Take?
Attributes for Handling a Crisis
Abilities in Handling a Crisis
3. Training of School Crisis Intervention Team Members: Going to War Without a Weapon?
When Training Is Inadequate
How Are School Crisis Interventionists Prepared?
Inservice Professional Development
Tips for Training Inadequately Prepared School Crisis Intervention Teams
Evaluating the Effectiveness of the Training
4. Logistical School Crisis Response: The Overlooked Intervention
Organized Response Is the Difference Between Sucess and Failure
Developing a Logistical Plan of Action
5. Determining the Impact of a Crisis: How Big Will the Bang Be?
Assessing Impact Variables
Determining the Scope of the Crisis
Awareness of the Number of Crises a School Has Suffered
Availability of Support Staff
Location and Time of the Crisis
The Immediacy of the Crisis
Identifying Who Has Been Affected by the Crisis
Three Critical Questions to Address Impact Effectively
6. Non-School-Based Crisis Intervention Teams: Districts and Schools Working Together
The Make Up of District-Level Teams
Advantages and Disadvantages of District-Level Crisis Intervention Teams
Three Guidelines for Non-School-Based/District Crisis Teams
7. Teachers: The Overlooked Interventionists
What Prevents Teacher Involvement in Crisis Intervention?
The Provision of In-Class Crisis Intervention
The Case for Teachers as Crisis Interventionists
Administrative Steps for Teacher Inclusion in Crisis Intervention Activities
8. Did We Forget Anyone? Addressing the Needs of Every Staff Member
Why Faculty Members Don't Always Receive Support
9. Primary Prevention: Preparing for Crises Before They Happen
The First Level of Intervention Is Prevention
Why Don't Schools Usually Engage in Primary Prevention?
The Benefits of Primary Prevention
Misconceptions About a Preventive Approach
Common Questions and Helpful Answers About Group Counseling Sessions