"Very useful for all those trying to create a safe and welcoming climate in schools."
Rita M. Kissen, Associate Professor of Teacher Education, University of Southern Maine
"The authors have provided school administrators with a blueprint for action on this issue."
Lorna R. Lewis, Assistant Principal, South Side High School, Rockville Center, New York
Make your school a haven for learning and teaching. Put a stop to sexual abuse and sexual harassment of students by other students or staff members. The authors help you define problems and provide policy guidelines, including model forms and letters to customize for your school's use.
This guide helps you refine, strengthen, and maximize the effectiveness of your school or district's policies and create an environment in your school or district where students and educators feel respected and safe.
You'll learn how to:
* Recognize sexual abuse and sexual harassment
* Report, investigate, and document any charges of abuse or harassment
* Offer your students encouragement and support instead of suspicion and doubts
* Incorporate valuable lessons about sexual abuse and harassment into your curriculum
* Help staff and students see sexual abuse and harassment as societal and human issues that affect everyone
Discover how to cope with problems if they do occur, and find out how to make (and keep) your school a healthy learning community where sexual abuse and sexual harassment are not tolerated. This book has the tools you need to make nonacceptance the norm for everyone in dealing with these harmful behaviors.