List of Figures
Foreword by Heidi Hayes Jacobs
A Resource for Teachers and Administrators
About the Author
1. How Do We Need to Think, Act, and Meet Differently?
Thinking Differently: Planned Versus Operational Curriculum
Acting Differently: Verification Versus Speculation
Meeting Differently: A Collegial Forum
2. What Are the Four Types of Curriculum Maps?
Four Types of Curriculum Maps
Curriculum Map Elements: An Overview
3. What Should We Consider Before Developing Curriculum Maps?
First Consideration: Exploring Personal and Collaborative Understanding of Curriculum Design
Second Consideration: The Ongoing Nature of Mapping Reviews
Third Consideration: A Mapping Sequence That Is Right for Your Learning Organization
4. What Elements Are Commonly Included in Curriculum Maps?
Curriculum Map Alignments and Elements
Descriptive or Not Descriptive? That Is the Question! (Math Focus)
Descriptive or Not Descriptive? That Is the Question! (Language Arts Focus)
Skill Versus Activity (Math Focus: Primary Grades)
Skill Versus Activity (Various-Discipline Focus: Upper Grades)
Assessment Versus Evaluation
5. What Should We Know Before Creating Diary Maps or Projected Maps?
Sample Projected/Diary Maps
Conducting an Initial Read-Through: Facilitator Explanation and How-To Guide
Conducting an Initial Read-Through: Team Member Explanation and How-To Guide
Initial Read-Through: Collaborating to Create Quality Maps
Initial Read-Through Card Shuffle Debrief
6. What Should We Know Before Creating Consensus Maps and Essential Maps?
Sample Consensus Maps and Essential Maps
7. How Should We Be Using Our Created Curriculum Maps?
Conducting Data-Driven Reviews
Investigating the Curriculum
8. What Data Is Often Incorporated When Refining Curriculum Maps?
Essential and Supporting Questions
9. How May Standards Influence Our Curriculum Design?
Determining Power Standards
10. What Should We Consider Regarding Technology?
Commercial Online Mapping Systems
Mapping System Considerations
11. What Should We Focus on When Planning Our Implementation?
Systemic Change and Curriculum Mapping
12. What Roadblocks and Brick Walls May We Encounter Along the Way?
Practical Advice From Practitioners
Glossary of Terms
Seven-Step Review Process
Curriculum Mapping Intra-Organizations