Camden Hills Regional High School, Rockport, ME
'VanDeWeghe presents powerful instructional practices to help students use both their hearts and their minds in learning' — Louann Reid, Professor
Colorado State University
To generate truly compelling learning experiences and increase retention of new information, educators need the knowledge and tools to engage students from both a neurological and humanistic perspective.
Richard VanDeWeghe provides an inside look at what happens in students' minds and hearts when they are engaged and "in the groove." Based on Mihaly Csikszentmihaly's idea of "flow"—a state of intrinsic control, curiosity, interest, and inquiry that is the ultimate experiential goal for learning—this book provides holistic strategies for encouraging students to become motivated, engaged learners.
Teachers will find:
- Information on brain function and memory pathways
- Spiritual and emotional principles of the heart that influence learning
- Strategies for guiding open-ended discussions, quality questioning, and teacher modeling
- Immediate, practical applications for language arts, science, maths, and social studies
- Vignettes illustrating effective teacher dialogue and classroom involvement
Engaged Learning is a clear, concise, and elegant resource that helps teachers understand what it means to be a highly motivated learner.