Research has shown that effective school leadership is a key factor in promoting high student achievement. This very practical, easy-to-use reference draws from leadership lessons learned in both education and business. Written as a field manual for "school CEOs" to facilitate understanding and operating a school as an organization, this book is designed for easy access within a unifying framework to enable flexible use for busy principals.
Based on the Organizational Effectiveness Model, the manual offers a blend of background knowledge and practices that are immediately useful, in the context of five elements that are essential to all organizations:
- Mission, including the central importance of useful metrics
- Strategies, such as the value of seeing the whole system
- Structure, including skill with conflict management
- People, highlighting the usefulness of political savvy
- Leadership, including the fundamental importance of trust
Filled with practical strategies and tools, The Principal's Field Manual is an invaluable resource for helping both new and experienced administrators better understand and effectively operate the school as a vital and dynamic organization.